Monday, January 26, 2009

Snow Day!

I started this a few days ago to aid in my own reflection time. I am working towards a masters degree and I realized in my class how little I make note of reflections. I have never been a journal writer. Since it's important to look inward and contemplate, I make a habit of reflecting often, but it's time I started putting it in writing. 
When I thought about my blog title, I wanted something that speaks to my personality. I love to read : novels, magazines, blogs, poetry, etc. My two favorite poets are John Donne and Robert Frost. For those of you unfamiliar with Frost's work, the title of my blog comes from a line of one of his greatest poems, "The Silken Tent". Using a tent as a metaphor, the poem describes a woman and the many intricacies of the female life...sounds unromantic, I know, but it's breathtaking. According to this poem, the only things that bind this strong, independent woman to earth are "countless silken ties of love and thought." Though I feel that I am bound to earth by stronger ties, I think that it's amazing how a man can so accurately capture the way I've felt SO many times. I've included the poem at the end of this post just so you can enjoy this amazing work of art. So there you go....a little about me. 

Today is icy, and they have already called off school for tomorrow!!! I'm just taking in the peace of knowing I can sleep in on a Tuesday. 
Until next time!

She is as in a field a silken tent
At midday when the sunny summer breeze
Has dried the dew and all its ropes relent,
So that in guys it gently sways at ease,
And its supporting central cedar pole,
That is its pinnacle to heavenward
And signifies the sureness of the soul,
Seems to owe naught to any single cord,
But strictly held by none, is loosely bound
By countless silken ties of love and thought
To every thing on earth the compass round,
And only by one's going slightly taut
In the capriciousness of summer air
Is of the slightlest bondage made aware. 

No comments:

Post a Comment