Sunday, October 9, 2011

How God Uses Technology

      Last week, Steve Jobs passed away from a long battle with cancer. Though I never knew him personally, of course, I was sad when I heard the news. I was sad because it's heartbreaking to see a technological genius leave the earth.
      In that same vein, I had a moment tonight where I was extremely grateful for technology and for the MacBook (see Steve Jobs above) on which I am currently writing this blog post.
Isn't technology amazing? I am able to keep journal/blog entries and pictures and videos somewhere in some outer space, internet storage place....and that's amazing. I can use Facebook to keep up with friends and acquaintances - then when I see them in person, I can tell them congratulations on their new job, or how cute that last birthday party was, or how beautifully their new house is decorated. Strange. And yet, I love it when people tell me that they keep up with us through technology.
      Tonight, God used technology in a way that He has used it many times for me - as a method of conviction. Elysen had a pile of dirty clothes (drool, drool, and more drool), and a pair of poopy pjs that needed hand-washing before I put them in the laundry. Gag. I was sitting on the floor looking at the computer when I should have been doing the laundry. As I surfed around, I came upon the blog of a friend of a friend whose 4 year old daughter just finished her 4th round of chemo. As I looked at the pictures and videos, I heard the small voice of this girl. Her voice sounded just like all little girls' voices - sweet and timid - just the way that I know Elysen's will sound in a few years. Only this girl's voice was full of pain, even though she is healing and overcoming her cancer. She is definitely having to fight.
      And with that, I closed my computer and went to wash out poopy clothes - 100% grateful for the fact that I have a baby girl to dirty those clothes. But before the laundry, I took a short detour to the nursery where I watched her sleep for a few minutes.
      Thank you, Lord for reminding me that my complaints are so very small. How can I complain when I am overwhelmingly blessed?


No comments:

Post a Comment