Friday, January 20, 2012

Christmas!


This post is quite late, but with a little mover in our house, blogging hasn’t been a priority.

Elysen’s first Christmas was as wonderful as I could ever have imagined. She didn’t really know what was going on, but she loved the attention.



We went to Tyler a few days before Christmas and stayed until the 28th. Anytime we get to stay in Tyler for an extended period of time, I am so happy. David didn’t take his 9 days off this summer, so he got to use them over the holidays. That meant that he didn’t have to take any phone calls or answer any emails! We spent time with the Harbersons, who were in town staying with Nana. We also spent part of Christmas day with the Burkharts. And all of the Johnson side of the family got to come over to our house for present opening and Christmas Eve dinner.


Elysen got to meet her second cousin Lainey. They are so close in age (only 5 weeks apart), but they are very different. Lainey is precious, and I loved seeing her animation. We got her a small brown bunny stuffed animal for Christmas and when Chase opened it, she started saying “Oooooh!” and hugging it. I told them that I would have paid 5 times as much for that bunny if I’d known how she was going to react. It was the sweetest thing.


Elysen’s first Christmas morning was fun. Unfortunately, we were dealing with teething and a lot of change – so we didn’t get a lot of sleep during the nights we were in Tyler. And Christmas Eve night/Christmas morning was the WORST! David and I were worn out. But we got up and had Santa. Then, Elysen took a nap while we opened our presents. Christmas morning with my family is one of my very favorite times of the whole year. I love seeing everyone’s reactions to their gifts that I worked so hard to find. There’s always so much laughter, and everyone is relaxed. I love it.




Elysen got so many toys and clothes from our family. She is truly a blessed girl. We have some of the toys put away so that we can bring them out later when we need a new and exciting distraction.




When we returned from Tyler, Dan and Janna had just arrived from Louisiana, and they came to stay at our house the next day. We had Christmas with David’s family, which was also a lot of fun. It was extra wonderful this year because we had Charlie with us for the first time. Our family feels more complete.


Probably my most favorite thing about this Christmas was putting Elysen in all of her Christmas outfits and listening to Christmas music with her. We read Christmas books, and sang lots of Christmas songs too. I know that she won’t even remember this Christmas, but I had so much fun telling her all about it. I know that someday she will love it as much as I do.


Santa brought Elysen a children’s storybook Bible. On Christmas morning, we read the Christmas story out of her new storybook.


As a parent, this holiday was much more meaningful for me. I felt 1000 times more grateful for every blessing we’ve been given, especially Elysen. I found myself getting emotional often over the last month, and I know it’s because I never imagined how happy and blessed I could be. I also became emotional thinking about the fact that my Savior came down to earth as a little baby, and the fact that He came to sacrifice Himself. Mary’s role as a mother meant more to me this year than it has before.



We had such a blessed holiday season. I know that next Christmas will be just as exciting and fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment