Saturday, August 6, 2011

Miss Independent


2 days before Elysen turned 5 months old, she suddenly decided that she liked being more independent. She started playing for longer periods of time on her play mat or in her Exersaucer. In the morning, she would wake up happy and play for awhile by herself until we came to get her. And, miracle of miracles - she started sleeping through the night ALL THE TIME! Oh my. I wish I could put into words how wonderful it is to sleep again. For the first 5 months of her life, sleeping through the night was the exception, not the rule.


She's doing a great job eating too! She has now had green beans (not a favorite, but she eats them), squash, bananas (her favorite so far), and peaches. She also eats her rice cereal so much better. We got her a booster seat/high chair. Since she still can't sit up by herself, it wears her out, but she tries every day.






We also traveled to Tyler a little over a week ago for my 10 year reunion. At the last minute, David couldn't come, so Elysen was stuck in the back seat by herself. I'd really like to say that it went great and we had a smooth trip, but, sadly, she cried almost the whole way. On the way to Tyler, I was so stressed. She hasn't cried that much in a long time. It broke my heart. On the way back, I was better prepared, and God gave me the patience to press on.

But, despite the sad driving, Elysen did such a great job while we were there! I had already prepared myself for bad sleeping habits while we were in a strange place. Last time we were there, she wouldn't even nap in her pack-n-play. This time - she was a different child. She slept like a champ! Marmee had to put her to bed Friday and Saturday night, and, once they got their rhythm down, she was good to go. I couldn't believe it!

Elysen has already started going to Ms. Amanda's house for daycare. She went one day last week, and will go 4 days this week during in-service. Then we'll start with the part time days. She did alright on her first day after a rough patch in the morning (she hates taking naps sometimes!). It helps me so much to know that my baby is staying at a house with someone who really loves having her. I know she is going to love playing there this year.

She's also started laughing more frequently. I tell everyone that she has her daddy's sense of humor: very hard to impress when it comes to funny things. She will grin and grin, but not make a sound unless something is really funny to her. Aunt Ashley, and Aunt Allison and Marmee got her to laugh one afternoon in Tyler while I was at coffee. Since then, she's been more willing to laugh. Today, while she sat in my lap, I was reading her a book about animal tails and I was making all the animal sounds. I quacked like a duck and she thought that was HILARIOUS. David and I spent the rest of the evening quacking. We make such fools of ourselves. Ha!


I think she knows now when she's the center of attention. She's starting to show off. (What this means, I'm not sure, but maybe I should be worried.) Last night, I wanted to see if some of her 6 month dresses would fit, so we had a fashion show of sorts. I put the dresses and outfits on her, then we went to the bathroom to look in the mirror, then to the living room to show Daddy. She LOVED looking at herself in her new clothes. She would smile so big and squeal and scrunch up on my shoulder. We might just have a little fashionista on our hands.



This is a random post. I just wanted to record how much more independent she's become in such a short time.

All of this goes to show me, yet again, that being a mommy is the most unpredictable job on this earth. If someone had told me 6 months ago that my baby wouldn't start sleeping through the night regularly until 5 months....well, I would have cried. And I did cry...many many times...But it's all been worth it to see her growing into her own independent person.



No comments:

Post a Comment